Tuesday, September 20, 2011

F is for...

F is for Fire!

Today started with smile (well, by the time the kids woke up) and the morning ended with a smile.  It was a lovely morning!  Of course, part of it is finding a "theme" that the children really are interested in and anything with fire, firetrucks, firemen, etc is always a hit.  As you know, this year I'm doing theme days in accordance to the focus letter of the week.  There is one downfall though...I often can't fit into one day what I could in a week!  Oh, well, we'll just see how it goes.  Perhaps we'll find the "middle place" in it all. 

Well, what to share.   Hmmm.  All of it?  Probably not.  But I'll start and see where I get.  Here's a little rhyme I found last week.  And for the life of me, I can't find the site where I found it.  Anyway...if anyone knows where they've seen something similar, please let me know so I can give proper credit!  Thanks.
The children took to this rhyme very quickly!
Rhyming, left to right progression, words vs. pictures and more!

I had a doll house out for dramatic play this week and so I also brought out the Ryan's Room Fire Station and put it across the room.  Cut out a few foam flames (which we also added to our water play, with spray bottles and plastic fire hats) and they, of course, stuck them to the house and the fire truck rushed over to put out the fire.  Great addition!  Lovely conversations taking place!

We started out with blow painting red and yellow watered down paint, for art, but then ended with a small paintbrush as we were having a bit of trouble having success.  :-)  The saliva was starting to win!  LOL

  Our Lakeshore Transportation manipulatives are always a favorite and you don't have to use them just for counting and sorting.  Here we created Ls and Fs because those are the two main letters we worked on but here you can see that K made a zero, and was quite proud of it.  They naturally pattern and sort though, because that's what we've done in the past.  Like most activities, I have a small "task" and then they have free exploration of the materials.  That's what happened here also.

Here's a cute little idea I found today!  Wish I had thought of it earlier (or found it earlier) but that's fine, I'll make something similar for the other transportation manipulatives that we have.
Other great ideas their also!

Scissors:  cutting out the hydrant.  Great conversation here also!  Idea was from

Love the purple hydrant!  Also, encouraging a dictation sentence is always beneficial in helping with learning print concepts.

I guess I better stop here as time is a-flying!  Hope your morning ran smoothly!

No comments:

Post a Comment